www.flickr.com
Click here to access this blog in a mobile version.

05 July 2012

Slit-Scan Photography

This post on PetaPixel led me to this video on YouTube


Slit-Scan Movie Maker is a Mac App, which I can't use on my aging computer, but I was curious about "spit-scan", a term I'd never met....so I did a little research.

I'm always interested in how we see the un-seeable, so I downloaded the Slit-Scan Camera app in the iTunes store (free, with optional upgrade, which gives a larger resolution and a few more options)




There are several more videos and tutorials on the app's web site:

The creator has a set on Flickr of their photos taken with the app, and a Group where you can contribute your own photos.

So what's happening?  How does this work?  When you look up "slit-scan photography" on Wikipedia, it's explained this way:

"The slit-scan photography technique is a photographic and cinematographic process where a moveable slide, into which a slit has been cut, is inserted between the camera and the subject to be photographed."


A better explanation is on the Forte Design blog:

"Slit scan photography utilizes a "slow slit shutter" to emulate a scan. A small slit is made in a mask that slides directly in front of the camera. This slit moves slowly across the camera's lens during a long exposure. Because only a certain part of the picture is being exposed at one time, moving subjects will appear very distorted."

I found one, beta release app for Android, Andlisca, which has only 3 reviews on Google Play, none of them overly enthusiastic.

I can imagine lots of possibilities for this app in education - surrealism, portraits, "all about me", etc.

Face
"Face" By andeecollard on Flickr