www.flickr.com
Click here to access this blog in a mobile version.

23 January 2011

4 Seasons in 2 Minutes by Eirik Solheim

I've written before about time-lapse photography - it fascinates me. I think it must be because, like  macro photos, we're able to see the world in a way that's impossible in real life.  Even if we stood at a window for a year and continually looked  at the view, we wouldn't remember it like this:


"A true timelapse made from more than 3500 high resolution images shot from the same spot during all of 2010. Music by Magnus Gangstad (thephilterlounge.com)."

Eirik Solheim describes how he made this video: "I placed my old SLR in our window in January last year. Hooked it up to our home server and gave it power through an adapter. Then I used software to control the camera. It has snapped one image every 30 minutes for one year now. Both the Mac and the Camera was hooked up to a UPS as well. I have lost a couple of images due to some computer crashes and camera crashes. But in general the system has been remarkably stable and given me more than 16 000 images to play with." (link)

You can see another version of this video, and read more about how he selected the pictures to use in this version, on his website.

Time lapse videos are most interesting when they show us a change or process we're familiar with, but which take too long for us to watch continuously.  Here's 12 hours of tide at Scots Bay, NS, in the Bay of Fundy:



Have you watched flowers growing?



Or food decomposing?


(Don't be put off - watch it all the way to the end.)
This photographer  writes:
"This is probably my most extensive time-lapse project yet. I Placed the fruit and vegetables in a large tub in the storage area under my house and took a picture every ten minutes. The playback at 30 frames per second took too long and was not as exciting, so I used a quarter of the pictures, making it 1 picture every 40 minutes. This video spans 74 days. The growth at the end of the video is from the potato. Also, the hundreds or thousands of little specks you see buzzing around are fruit flies. I used my Canon PowerShot S3 IS and GBTimelapse software on a laptop. I used Sony Acid Music Studio to make the accompanying music." (link) He has a page with more of his time lapse projects on his website.